Changes to services throughout the coronavirus outbreak
Please be aware that some of our services will be affected by the current national lockdown. We continue to follow national and regional advice and will update this page with details of any changes, as and when they happen.
Bins and recycling
- Bin collections are running.
- Our recycling centres (tips) are open with social distancing measures in place.
- You can sign up for 2021 garden waste collections
Births, deaths and marriages
- You must book an appointment to register a birth
- To register a death you must arrange a telephone appointment
- Restrictions are in place for funerals and cremations
- Marriages and civil partnerships can go ahead with 15 attendees (provided the premise can accommodate this number, in a Covid-19 secure manner following social distancing guidelines, and are permitted to open).
See our Covid-19 support for businesses information.
Care and health
- Get help if you're self-isolating
- Advice if you're at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable)
- Support for care providers during covid-19
- Domestic abuse support
- You can contact one point and family centres for support during lockdown
- Our Care Connect alarm service continues to operate. Please continue to use the service and also consider for family and friends who may need extra support at this time.
Council and democracy
- You can now watch our council meetings live - you don't need an invite to attend our public meetings
- Our customer contact centre is open, we are responding to enquiries online and over the phone
- If you need advice relating to Coronavirus, our County Durham Together community hub is open from Monday to Friday, 9.00am until 5.00pm and can be reached on 03000 260 260.
- You can also see our Covid-19 support for residents pages for further help such as money and housing advice.
Our Leisure centres have reopened for gym, swim and outdoor fitness classes only.
Our Libraries have reopened.
Parks and outdoors
- Parks remain open including children's play areas
- Railway paths, Coast and countryside walks and Public Rights of Way remain open
Markets and shops
Roads, transport and parking
- Durham City Park and Ride continues with covid secure measures in place
- Public transport is running but may be subject to timetable changes
- Car parks are open - please use cashless payments to pay for parking where possible
- The Parking shop is closed but you can pay a parking fine online or over the phone and you can request a parking permit over the phone
Schools, nurseries and learning
- All schools are now open.
- Families/carers of school age children can access Lateral flow device (LFD) testing twice weekly using home test kits.
- See Self isolating for schools if your child has been sent home from nursery/school because they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.
- Online education resources
- Mental health support for children, young people and families