Adults, Wellbeing and Health Scrutiny Committee
The Adults, Wellbeing and Health (AWH) Scrutiny Committee is aligned to our 'Altogether Healthier' priority theme.
Health in County Durham has improved significantly over recent years, but remains below average for England. Health inequalities remain persistent, levels of deprivation in County Durham are higher than the average for England and life expectancy is lower in County Durham than the England average. Like many local authorities areas in the country, County Durham has an ageing population which will place additional pressures upon health and social care services over the coming years.
The Adults Wellbeing and Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee considers both health and adult social care issues working closely with key partners within the NHS and health and social care sector. health sector. The Committee undertakes the council's statutory health scrutiny role and has engaged with commissioners, providers and the community and voluntary sector to ensure that relationships have been developed enabling the Committee to contribute to the development of strategies and service improvements provided by the Council and its partners.
You can find out more information about committee membership and meeting papers for the Adults Wellbeing and Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee from the links on this page.
Projects and reviews
Review of Suicide Rates and Mental Health and Wellbeing in County Durham - November 2018
A review of the measures put in place by Durham County Council and its partners to ensure improved mental health and wellbeing for residents has been carried out by the authority's Adults, Wellbeing and Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee. This was prompted by concerns amongst members regarding the suicide rates in County Durham which were above the national and north east averages. A series of recommendations were agreed by the Committee and are detailed within the report.
Other AWH Scrutiny activity
Our committee has also:
- Reviewed proposals by NHS England for specialised vascular services across the North East (June 2018).
- Examined plans by CCGs to review stroke rehabilitation services across County Durham and Darlington (July 2018 onwards).
- Reviewed Urgent Care/extended and enhanced access to primary care services across DDES CG (July and September 2018 and June 2019).
- Considered pre-engagement plans in respect of the future of services at Shotley Bridge Hospital (September and December 2018 and February 2019).
- Engaged with GP practices regarding plans for future service provision and models (ongoing).
- Reviewed the future service models and associated consultation plans for Ward 6 Bishop Auckland Hospital (November 2018 and January and September 2019).
- Engaged with key NHS, Health and Social Care stakeholders to share information regarding:
- The role of the Health and Wellbeing Board and its Annual Report (October 2018).
- Healthwatch County Durham Annual Report (September 2019)
- Director of Public Health County Durham Annual Report (November 2018)
- NHS Quality Accounts for North East Ambulance Services NHS FT; Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS FT and County Durham and Darlington NHS FT (May 2018, November 2018 and May 2019)
- Scrutiny Team
- Scrutiny Team
- 03000 265 978
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL