How much does a certificate cost?
Information about the charges for certificates of birth, death, marriage and civil partnerships.
The cost of the certificate depends on whether it is still held in the local registrar's office, or, for older certificates, in our central store at Bishop Auckland.
The following costs are for copies of certificates issued from the local registrar's office:
- £11: this covers a certificate that is issued at the time of the registration.
The following costs are for copies of certificates held in the central repository at Bishop Auckland:
- £35.00 Collection - Certificate available for collection on the same day from Bishop Auckland register office (collection between 11.00am - 12noon and 1.00pm - 3.00pm)
- £35.00 Post - Certificate posted the same day via 1st class post - if received by 3.00pm
- £11.00 Collection - Collection in person after a minimum of 5 working days
- £11.00 Post - Dispatched within 5 working days using 2nd class post
- £11.00 Post - Outside of the UK, we aim to deliver within 28 days
How do I order a copy of a certificate?
Birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates are available from us in a number of ways.
Can I buy a copy of a certificate anywhere else?
You can also buy a certificate for any birth, death or marriage in England and Wales from the central General Registrar's Office: Gov.uk: order a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate.
- Registration Service
- 03000 266 000