Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

The Prime Minister has today set out the next steps in the easing of lockdown. See the press conference at Youtube: Prime Minister's Coronavirus press conference (10 May 2021) for details.

Between 4.00pm on Wednesday 12 May and 7.30am on Thursday 13 May, the following systems will be unavailable due to essential maintenance: our online council tax, business rates and housing benefit overpayments service, our welfare assistance form and our test and trace payments form. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

If you are a student in higher education, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income. You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance.

You will not need to repay DSA.

If you're a part-time student your 'course intensity' can affect how much you get. 

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

The current rates, application forms and guides are published on Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability.

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page