Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Postal voters are reminded to post their ballot pack today (Wednesday) in order to cast their vote in the upcoming election. If you haven't received your ballot pack and you are registered to vote by post, please contact our election helpline on 03000 261 212.

Mediation (special educational needs and disabilities)

Mediation is a less formal way of working out a solution to your problem.

We will have sent you a letter giving our decision about the education, health and care (EHC) plan. This letter will tell you how to contact a mediation service.

A mediation adviser will explain how mediation works. If you want to go ahead, they'll bring you and the council together to discuss the problem. The mediator is independent and so does not take sides, give advice or make judgements. Mediation is voluntary and is not legally binding. It is also often quicker and costs less than going to a tribunal.

At the end they'll give you a mediation certificate, which you'll need if you still want to appeal to the SEND Tribunal. An appeal can be registered with Tribunal either within two months of the original decision or within one month of receiving the certificate, whichever is the later.

You do not have to contact the mediation service if your appeal is only about the school or college named in the Education, Health and Care Plan.

The independent mediation service in County Durham is provided by:

Barnardo's Gateshead Disability and Inclusion Support Service (DAISS)
20 Bewick Road
Tyne and Wear

Telephone: 0191 478 4667

Mediation on health and social care elements in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan

Parents and young people can also go to mediation about the health and social care elements of an EHC plan. You do not have to receive mediation advice before going to mediation.

If you are considering mediation, you must tell us about the matters you want to go to mediation about. In particular, you must tell us if you want to go to mediation about the fact that no health care provision or no health care provision of a particular kind, is specified in the plan.

If you do not want mediation

You will still need to contact the mediation service to get a mediation certificate so that you can appeal.


Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page