Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Help for carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities

If you look after someone with a special educational need or disability, you are a carer.

Most parents who are carers don't see themselves as carers. Caring for someone can involve things like helping your child with their dressing or eating or taking them to appointments. You can get different types of support depending on the care you provide.

  • Parent carers: If you look after your own child who has a special educational need and/or disability and is under the age of 18, then you are a parent carer.
  • Adult carers: If you are a parent caring for your child who is 18-25 years old, then you are an adult carer.
  • Young adult carers: If you are aged 18 - 24 years and provide unpaid care, assistance or support to a family member who has care and support needs then you are a young adult carer.
  • Young carers: If you are a child or young person under the age of 18 who looks after someone with care and support needs, for example, a parent, sibling or other relative, then you are a young carer.

How to get help

Durham County Carers Support can work with you to help you find the information you need to care for someone and can tell you about other services to help you look after yourself. They can provide:

  • information and advice
  • help with accessing and completing benefit and grant forms
  • carer breaks
  • opportunities to meet other carers
  • counselling
  • training 
  • discounts through the Carers Card
  • a chance to have your say


Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter