Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

We continue to be here to support care leavers and there will always be someone you can contact to offer advice, help and support on 03000 262 271. 

Your rights as a care leaver

As a care leaver you have certain rights. We have to provide you with certain things and make sure you are safe.

Our promise to you

  1. To treat you with respect and to remember that everyone is different.
  2. To help find the best home we can for you. It will be where you feel safe, cared about and treated well.
  3. To help you stay in touch with family and friends if it is ok to do so.
  4. To listen carefully to you and try to act on what you say.
  5. That you social worker will get to know you well. They will keep in touch with you and listen to what you say.
  6. To really listen to things you would like to change about being looked after.
  7. To be honest and share any information or changes with you.
  8. To involve you in any decisions, plans or changes that affect you or your future.
  9. To give you any help or support that you need.
  10. To help you be the best that you can be at school, college, training and work.
  11. To give you help and support when needed to move from care to adult life.
  12. To work together and support you during every change in your life. 

Find out what information we hold about you

You have the right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care. See our Find out what information we hold about you page.

You have a right to support from an independent advocate

You might need someone to act on your behalf, known as an advocate. Advocates can support and listen to you if you feel your wishes and feelings are not being heard by your social worker, carers or anyone else involved in decisions about your care and welfare. They can go with you to meetings, if you want them to, and help you to tell people what you want, or speak for you if you don't want to. 

Your YPA can help you to get in touch with one.

The National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) - young person's website has lots of information about advocacy support.


Contact us
Young People's Service
03000 262 289