Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Postal voters are reminded to post their ballot pack today (Wednesday) in order to cast their vote in the upcoming election. If you haven't received your ballot pack and you are registered to vote by post, please contact our election helpline on 03000 261 212.

Help for disabled travellers

If you have a disability travelling can be difficult. Find out more about the services and concessions available that can help.


Due to Covid-19, the Access Bus is suspended. The Link2 Dial-a-Ride bus can now only take bookings for essential journeys including shopping, travel to and from work, medical appointments and care for vulnerable people.

Buses and taxis

  • Access Bus service: provides people who have limited mobility with a door-to-door transport service to popular shopping and leisure destinations.
  • Link2 bus service: a pre-bookable bus service for people making journeys (up to five miles) where there is no other suitable bus, for example in rural areas where bus services may be limited. All buses are fully accessible.
  • Bridge Card scheme: if you travel on the bus alone but struggle because of your age, a disability or illness, or just lack confidence, carrying a Bridge Card can help.
  • Durham Park and Ride: the buses are all fully wheelchair accessible.
  • Wheelchair accessible taxis: there are a number of wheelchair accessible vehicles licensed as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle (taxi) in County Durham - see the Icon for pdf Wheelchair accessible vehicles list (PDF, 92.7kb)  for further details.

Concessionary fares

  • disabled persons bus pass: pass holders are entitled to free travel on buses after 9.30am on weekdays, or all day at weekends and public holidays, and half price travel on some trains.
  • Railcards: apply for a Disabled Persons Railcard.

Parking permits

If you have mobility problems, you can apply for a Blue Badge disability parking permit. This will give you the right to park in disabled parking bays in town centres and car parks.

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page