Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online benefit claim and calculator will not be available between 7.00pm on Friday 21 January and 9.00pm on Saturday 22 January due to maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

The Health Secretary has set out the next steps in the fight against Coronavirus. See the press conference at Youtube: Coronavirus press conference (19 January 2022).

We continue to be here to support care leavers and there will always be someone you can contact to offer advice, help and support on 03000 262 271. 

Relationships (care leavers)

Having strong and supportive relationships will be really important for you as you move to independent adult life.

As well as support from your Young Person's Advisor, we may be able to give you extra practical and emotional support such as:

  • providing you with a mentor/peer mentor
  • helping you to keep or regain contact with people special to you or who cared for you in the past, like former foster carers, independent visitors or social workers
  • support to reconnect with family if it is in your best interests

Get someone to speak for you

You might need someone to act on your behalf, known as an advocate. Advocates can support and listen to you if you feel your wishes and feelings are not being heard by your social worker, carers or anyone else involved in decisions about your care and welfare. They can go with you to meetings, if you want them to, and help you to tell people what you want, or speak for you if you don't want to. 

Your YPA can help you to get in touch with one.

The National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) - young person's website has lots of information about advocacy support.

Contact us
Young People's Service
03000 262 289