Book a taxi or private hire vehicle test
Your taxi or private hire vehicle will need to be tested at one of our testing centres to make sure it is safe for the travelling public. Once you have applied for a vehicle licence, we will contact you to arrange an appointment for you to have your vehicle tested.
Your vehicle will need testing when you first apply for a vehicle licence, then every six months after that. If your vehicle is over ten years old it will need testing every four months.
Keeping drivers and vehicle examiners safe during coronavirus
We have put special measures in place to ensure the safety of drivers and vehicle examiners, including:
- drivers should attend the test alone
- use contactless payments where needed such as for a retest
- clean the vehicle before attending the test
- leave vehicle keys and any documentation which needs to be checked as part of the test on the front passenger seat (i.e. meter calibration certificate, vehicle check book)
- the vehicle examiner will wipe down the commonly touched areas within the vehicle prior to the handover to the driver following a test
- do not attend for a test if you/family member are showing symptoms of COVID-19
Booking of tests and payments
A test costs £55.85. Retests are £25.
All tests including retests and tests following an accident will be booked by us. Payment for a retest will be taken by the individual garage.
- Morrison Busty, Morrison Road, Annfield Plain, Stanley, County Durham, DH9 7RX.
- Hackworth Road Depot, Unit 2, Hackworth Road, North West Industrial Estate, Peterlee, County Durham, SR8 2JQ.
- Chilton Depot, Chilton Industrial Estate, Ferryhill, County Durham, DL17 0SD.
- Meadowfield Depot, Service Direct, St John's Road, Meadowfield, Durham, DH7 8XQ