Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Help and support with your energy supply

If you sign up to your energy company's Priority Services Register (PSR), you can get extra help and support with your energy supply.

Ofgem offer information on their website at Getting extra help with the Priority Services Register about the free support service eligibility and how you can contact your supplier.  

If you need help with your energy bills please visit Stay warm, well and safe this winter.

You can sign up if you're:

  • a pensioner
  • disabled or chronically sick
  • have a hearing or visual impairment

What help can you receive?

PSR support offer

If you're on the PSR, you could get:

  • free advice on being more energy-efficient
  • protection from cold callers with a password protection scheme to keep you safe
  • your meter moved free of charge if it's hard for you to use or read the meter
  • a free quarterly meter reading if you can't read your meter
  • bills sent to a relative, carer or friend to help you check them
  • your bills and meter readings in a braille, large print, audio tape, textphone or typetalk if you're visually impaired
  • advance notice if your energy supply is going to be interrupted
  • priority reconnection if your supply is interrupted
  • alternative facilities for cooking and heating if your supply is interrupted
  • extra help to use your meter or appliances
  • annual gas safety checks

How to sign up to PSR

  • Contact your energy supplier to see if you're eligible to sign up to the PSR. If you have different suppliers for gas and electricity, you'll need to call them both.
  • You'll need to register again if you change your energy supplier.

Free gas safety checks

To be eligible for a free annual gas safety check, you must own your home and get a means tested benefit such as Pension Credit or Universal Support.  Also, one of the following must apply:

  • you live alone
  • you live with other adults who are pensionable age, disabled and or chronically sick or under 18.
  • you live with at least one other child under five

Northern Powergrid Priority Services Membership 

Information regarding Priority Services Membership is available on the Northern Powergrid website: 

Northern Powergrid: Powergrid Care

Durham County Council's support offer 

Durham County Council have an advice webpage to support residents staying warm, well and safe this winter. Please see Stay warm, well and safe this winter for further information. 

We also offer information on benefits and support, please visit Help with your money and Debt advice and financial help for further information. 

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice: contact the consumer helpline if you want to find out more or require assistance.

Share this page

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Twitter