Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for a test and trace support payment

If you have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, on or after 28 September 2020 either because you have tested positive for coronavirus Covid-19 or you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and you meet the eligibility criteria you may be entitled to a £500 support payment. This is to support people on low incomes who are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.

For further information, see New package to support and enforce self-isolation 

Please note - if you were told to self-isolate before 28 September, you are not eligible to claim this payment. This is in line with government guidance.

Who can claim

To claim this payment, you must:

  1. have been told to stay at home and self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020 by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for Coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive; and
  2. be employed or self-employed; and
  3. be unable to carry out your work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  4. be currently receiving one or more of the following benefits - Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-related Employment Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

You cannot claim if you are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the quarantine period).

Discretionary Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

If you do not receive any of the above benefits, but meet 1 to 3 of the above criteria, you may still be eligible for a discretionary test and trace support payment if:

  • your normal annual gross earnings (before deductions) are less than £20,065 per year; and

  • you have less than £500 savings; and
  • you can demonstrate with evidence that you will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating (for example, you are not able to pay your rent or your mortgage).

If you live with your partner, we will take into account the size of your family and whether you pay a mortgage or pay rent to a landlord. We will also take their income and capital into account when considering whether you are eligible to claim a discretionary support payment.

You will need to supply us with supporting evidence and documents when you apply.

How to apply

You will need to provide the following information:

  • your eight character NHS Test and Trace reference
  • a copy of the NHS Test and Trace notification you received (showing the date you received the notification and the Test and Trace ID)
  • your National Insurance number
  • a copy of your latest bank statement (issued in the last two months and showing proof of earnings) and proof of self-employment (such as a business bank statement issued in the last two months, most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns)

If you need support to complete your application or need help with other things like getting food, please contact us at Customer Services.

How much is the payment

If you are required to stay at home and self-isolate, and meet the criteria listed, you will be entitled to a £500 support payment.

Will payments be taxed

Test and trace support payments will be subject to income tax, but not National Insurance contributions.

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page