1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham

Home to school transport

This page gives you information on transport for children of compulsory school age to and from schools, as well as for those who are post 16.

Where does the responsibility lie for making sure a child attends school?

  • Parents have a legal responsibility for ensuring their child attends school.
  • We have a duty to provide free home to school transport where there is an entitlement.

Free home to school transport

Find out about free home to school transport for the following age groups and how to apply:

Appeals procedure

If we do not award free home to school transport to your child, you can request a review of our decision in writing within 20 days of the receipt of the decision letter. You will need to send any additional supporting evidence with the request. Each case will be considered individually.

Concessionary school fares scheme

If you do not qualify for free home to school transport, you may be able to apply for a concessionary seat on a school bus. 

Find out more on the Apply for a concessionary seat on school transport page.

Behaviour on home to school transport

Our   Icon for pdf Behaviour on Home to School Transport Policy (PDF, 119.4kb)  sets out the rights and responsibilities of children, parents, transport operators, passenger assistants and schools. It also explains the action that can be taken when either behaviour or the transport provided does not meet acceptable standards.

The following leaflets explain about standards of behaviour:

How we use your personal information

When you submit your application for school transport, you give your consent for us to check the address details you have given on your application with council tax and electoral registration records. This is to confirm that you are resident at the property.

There are more details about how your data is used on our  page.

School transport policies and strategies

Full details of home to school transport are laid out in our  Icon for pdf Home to school / college transport policy (PDF, 159.3kb) .

Find details of other school travel / transport policies and strategies.

Further information

If you have any queries about the information on this page, please contact us.

Contact us
School Transport
03000 265 896
Our address is:
  • School Places and Admissions Team
  • Children and Young People's Services
  • County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH1 5UJ
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page