Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Ask for a new bin

Has your bin been damaged, lost or stolen? Have you recently moved into a new home? Do you have six or more people in your household and need more bin space?

Damaged bin

If your bin has been damaged, we may be able to repair it free of charge.

Bin/box lost/stolen

There is a £20 charge for a replacement bin. After the initial £20 charge - if your bin goes missing again within a calendar year, we will replace it free of charge. If your recycling box is lost or stolen, we'll send you a replacement free of charge.

Extra bins

If your household has six or more people permanently living there, you can request an additional bin. Before you apply, consider ways to cut down your waste

Most households will fit all their waste into their rubbish bin if they are recycling as much as possible. Excess household waste can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip).

Garden waste bin

If you would like an extra garden waste bin you must pay the £20 fee and the additional subscription to empty the bin.

If you have moved into a new home

Newly built properties

If you have just moved into a newly built property, your developer will supply your rubbish bin, recycling bin and recycling box. If your developer doesn't have a supply of bins for you, you can buy them from us. There is a fee of £45 to supply bins for a new build property. Fill in our online form, or contact us.

Existing property

If you move into an existing property you should use the bins that are already at that property. There is a £20 charge for a replacement from us. Fill in our online form, or contact us.

Privately rented properties

If you are a tenant of a private rented property, it is the responsibility of your landlord to provide refuse and recycling containers at the property. Please contact your landlord to arrange this.

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page