Look after your mental health during coronavirus outbreak
Advice to help you stay calm and deal with anxiety and worries related to COVID-19.
The current Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak can be scary and can affect our mental health. Most of us will not have experienced anything like this in our lifetime.
While it is important to stay informed, there are many other things you can do to help manage your mental wellbeing, and the wellbeing of those around you.
Try and see this time as a different period in your life, something that you will be able to talk about in the future, a period in all our histories.
- take up an internet hobby
- try reading more or watch movies
- have an exercise routine
- try new relaxation techniques
Five rules to live by:
- be careful what you read and seek news from reputable sources - limit your time watching/reading things that aren't helping your anxiety / worries / frame of mind
- keep in touch with friends, colleagues and family - using your phone, tablet, computer if you are self-isolating
- look after yourself - eat well and exercise
- focus on what you can control
- if you are working from home - try to treat your working day like any other, shower, get dressed, take regular breaks, try and keep in regular contact with people from your team by video and phone calls - why not organise a virtual coffee break
It's natural to feel anxious during times of uncertainty. Every Mind Matters has created new videos to maintain your mental wellbeing and deal with anxiety about the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak.
Useful tips if you are worried or anxious about the coronavirus outbreak:
Support for adults
- NHS: Every Mind Matters: how to sleep well
- Mental Health Foundation: looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak
- MIND: coronavirus and your wellbeing
- Gov.uk: guidance on staying at home
- Every Mind Matters: looking after your mental health
- Time to change: Coronavirus and mental health - supporting someone during Covid-19
- Talking Changes
- Wellbeing for Life
- World Health Organisation guide to help people cope with stress during covid-19
- Carers UK Coronavirus guidance
- Rethink: advice on how to care for yourself during the covid-19 outbreak
- Gov.uk: COVID-19 Guidance for the public on mental health and wellbeing
- Gamcare - Free information, advice and support for anyone affected by problem gambling
- Every Life Matters - Mental health and wellbeing during Covid-19
Support for children and young people, parents and carers
See our Mental health and emotional support for children, young people and families page for a list of local and national support.
General Government guidance
See our Keep active in your home info, which includes links to activities for all ages and abilities - it includes workouts, activities and PE lessons.