It's Your Neighbourhood Campaign
The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) 'It's Your Neighbourhood' (IYN) campaign encourages communities to come together and make their neighbourhoods a cleaner and greener place to live.
What is the 'It's Your Neighbourhood' (IYN) campaign?
The RHS It's Your Neighbourhood scheme provides an opportunity for smaller community groups to get involved in the wider RHS Northumbria in Bloom and Britain in Bloom competitions. It is a scheme for volunteer-led community gardening groups and horticultural enthusiasts to take part in projects that are relevant to local environment issues. This can include cleaning up a local park, revamping a run-down back alley or adding floral or planting displays to outdoor open spaces.
It is free to enter and encourages projects that meet three core goals:
- community participation
- gardening achievement
- environmental responsibility.
Guidance and support
We can help groups entering the campaign with:
- funding through the Community Grant Scheme (see below)
- loan of equipment
- land ownership queries
- liaising with council departments to gain permissions for projects on public land
- advice on plants and planting
- links to schools for pupil involvement
- an extra pair of hands at your project - we can also provide health, safety and risk assessments when attending events
- advice on what the IYN judges are looking for.
Community grant scheme - 2017/18
Community groups were invited to apply for funding of up to £500 to make a positive change to a public open space where they live, work or spend their leisure time. All projects must be within the Durham County Council area.
Applications are now closed
Community Grant Scheme - 2016/17
Results of the 2016/17 'It's Your Neighbourhood' Community Grant Scheme was announced at the RHS awards scheme.
If you'd like more information about the 'It's Your Neighbourhood' campaign, or other Civic Pride schemes, please contact us.