Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online forms (customer account / Do it online) system will not be available between 10.00pm on Tuesday 22 June and 6.00am on Wednesday 23 June. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

HIV support services

Have you been diagnosed with HIV, or are you close to someone living with HIV? Get help from individuals and organisations who understand the social and emotional issues that often go along with this condition.

If you live in the county, visit our Locate - care and support in County Durham website to find social care and support services and information.

Get an HIV test

Testing and early diagnosis, leading to early treatment, gives people the best chance of living a healthy life, for longer, and also reduces the risk of passing on the infection to someone else unknowingly. 

  • Talk to someone in complete confidence at your local GUM (Genito-Urinary Medicine) clinic about HIV tests. You can have a test without having to identify yourself and counselling is also available if you need it. A list of GUM clinics can be found on the County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust website.
  • Get a 'Fast Test' through a voluntary organisation. Contact sexual health organisation, MESMAC North East, for more information.
  • Get a free self-sampling test kit from Freetesting HIV which involves taking a simple finger prick blood test and posting it to a laboratory for testing. Results will be received within five days followed by support and treatment from a confidential clinical service if required. 

Get help following diagnosis

We work closely with doctors, psychologists and voluntary organisations to provide services that meet your needs.

When you first contact us, we'll put you in touch with an HIV social worker. They'll carry out an assessment and provide you with relevant advice and tell you what services are available.

Confidential service

You may feel vulnerable about an HIV diagnosis and the consequences of telling anyone about it. Your personal information will not be shared with anyone unless you give your permission.

Support for children with HIV

We have specialist social workers who work with your consultant and health visitor. If there are further childcare issues that require the local Children in Need team to be involved, the social worker will work with them as well to ensure that you have access to the right information and support to meet your HIV needs.

Contact us
First Contact/Social Care Direct
03000 267 979
0191 383 5752
Related information
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page