Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Road or pavement obstructions

It is illegal to obstruct a road, verge or pavement without a licence.

Obstructions are objects which have been illegally put there or overhang a road or pavement.


We are currently running a limited service but will respond to emergency and essential work where it is possible and safe to do so. There will be delays in responding to non-emergency and non-essential works.

If the obstruction is causing a danger, please call the police on 101 or 999.


Report a vehicle causing an obstruction on a road or footpath

For example:

  • a vehicle being illegally traded from
  • a vehicle parked on the street where it's not allowed eg on double yellow lines, in a bus stop, in a loading bay, on a school crossing
  • a vehicle being worked on

If you think the vehicle has been left without an owner see our Abandoned vehicles page.

Overhanging trees and hedges

Other obstructions

Report a non-vehicular obstruction on footpath or road

For example:

  • caravans
  • unauthorised builders skips
  • unauthorised scaffolding/hoardings
  • unauthorised building materials
  • unauthorised vendors/traders not trading from a vehicle
  • fallen trees
  • unauthorised structures
  • decorative stones and plant pots on a highway verge
  • encroachment onto the road, verge or pavement by fencing
  • blocking 'Rights of Way'

If something has been spilt then see our Spillages on roads page.

Road and pavement legislation and licensing

Under the Highways Act 1980 and the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991, we have a duty to license the placing of skips, scaffolds, hoarding and building materials on a road. In most cases licences require that these items are placed so they don't cause an obstruction. In some cases, however, this is impossible, and not all obstructions will be classed as unauthorised.

We have also adopted a policy for the display of goods and advertising on roads and footpaths that actively discourages placing goods and advertising on roads and pavements, in order to minimise the nuisance and danger they may cause.

Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page