Heritage Open Days
England's history, architecture and culture is celebrated when buildings of every age, style and function open their doors for free for the annual Heritage Open Days.
This is a national event that celebrates England's fantastic architectural and cultural sites.
When is it held?
The event runs every September, and this year's are from Thursday 6 September to Sunday 9 September, and Thursday 13 September to Sunday 16 September.
What's happening this year?
Discover hidden architectural treasures and enjoy a wide range of tours, events and activities which bring to life local history and culture:
- Tours that give glimpses into hidden places
- Walks through our historic landscape - with evidence of settlement from pre-history to the modern day
- Free entry to venues that usually charge
- Churches - from Saxon to Medieval to Victorian in County Durham
- Talk to knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers who guide you round the venues
I would like my venue/event to be included. How do I get involved?
We welcome new venues and events. If you, your organisation or community group would like to take part, or if you would like some more information, then please contact us.