Free school meals
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2, are eligible to a free school meal through the Universal Infant Free School Meal scheme. It is still important that you complete an application form as the school receives additional funding for those who are eligible.
Any child may qualify for a free school meal if you receive one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit with an annual earnings threshold that does not exceed £7,400.
- Income Support.
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Child Tax Credit, provided a parent is not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190.
- Working Tax Credit run on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
How to apply for free school meals
You can pick up an application form at your child's school or print one off from this page. Schools have a choice of which application form they use so if you are unsure which form to complete please check with your school. If you have more than one child at different schools you will need to complete a separate form for each school. Please return the completed application form to the school .
Application without paperwork
For this application you won't need to supply proof of your eligibility as you give us permission to check the council's and the Department for Education's records on your behalf.
Application with paperwork
For this application you must provide the school with proof of eligibility for the relevant benefit.