Foster Xtra is a specialist type of fostering, for children who need extra help to live as part of a family. The children may be struggling to cope with the difficult times in their life, and they need special foster carers to give them extra support and understanding.
What's different about Foster Xtra?
Foster Xtra offers specialist support to children who are struggling to cope with their emotions and past experiences. Families are offered tailored support to offer a professional approach to caring for children and helping them to recover from their past.
Some of the children are in children's homes and we would like to give them the opportunity to live in a family, others have moved many times and we want to give them a stable home.
Interested in Foster Xtra?
Contact us for a chat, or complete our fostering and adoption enquiry form and we'll contact you to discuss your information in more detail.
What qualities do you need to be a Foster Xtra carer?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with young people, are not daunted by challenging behaviour and want to make a real difference in a child's life. You will need patience, tolerance, understanding and insight and we will provide you with all the training you need to undertake this rewarding role.
What extra support will you get?
You will work with a dedicated team of professionals to help a young person have a more positive future. You will benefit from additional support and training tailored to your needs including:
- A fostering social worker who will visit you regularly to offer advice and support.
- Intensive involvement from our specialist therapeutic team.
- Family support workers available at evenings and weekends.
- Respite care to offer families a break.
- Specific training to help you develop your knowledge of the child and how you can care for them.
- Regular meetings to discuss managing behaviour.
- A dedicated support group for Foster Xtra.
- Emergency support outside of office hours, at weekends and bank holidays.
- The benefit of a professional multi-agency care team approach who can offer individual support with social opportunities, health and education.
- Extra financial support.
- 03000 269 400
Our address is:
- Children and Young People's Services
- Spectrum 8
- Spectrum Business Park
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- SR7 7TT