Volunteer at Lumiere
The countdown is on as Lumiere returns to Durham this November, and you could be part of it. As we get ready to host the UK's largest outdoor light festival, we're working with festival producers Artichoke to recruit volunteer Festival Makers just like Amanda to help make Durham shine.
Follow #LumiereDurham for the latest news and information about Lumiere 2019.
Who are we looking for?
As Amanda said, anyone can be a festival maker. For Lumiere we want to hear from you if:
- you're over 18
- you have a friendly personality and a passion for the festival
We're looking for people with different skills and life experiences - this could be your first time volunteering or you could be a seasoned pro!
Highlights from Lumiere 2017
Still need convincing? Check out the highlights from Lumiere 2017. You could help make it an event to remember and soak up the incredible atmosphere.
There is also a.
Inspired to volunteer as a festival maker? Apply now through the Culture and sport volunteering portal.
What will you be doing?
There's a range of roles you could be involved in to make sure the festival runs smoothly. You could be:
- welcoming visitors to Durham, helping them find their way around and providing advice on how to get the best Lumiere Durham experience
- telling people about the artworks
- helping to run the Festival Visitor Hub
- if you're local - sharing your knowledge of the city
- offering practical help when needed such as delivering items to production staff.
If you have special skills or interests, for example if you're a qualified first aider, please let us know.
What commitment do you need to give?
Lumiere runs over four evenings - Thursday 14 to Sunday 17 November. You'll need to be available for at least two shifts of between 4 and 7.5 hours during this time. There may be some volunteer roles in the run up to the event too, but we'll confirm these with you around your availability and skills.
You'll also need to come to a couple of meetings beforehand.
What's in it for you?
We know we couldn't do it without our volunteers but what do you get out of it?
- be part of something big - over 240,000 people visited Lumiere Durham 2017
- be in the know - be among the first to learn about plans for Lumiere Durham 2019
- go behind the scenes - learn first-hand how a major arts event is run
- add to your CV - build on your skills and experience
Lumiere is produced by Artichoke, commissioned by Durham County Council, and supported by Arts Council England. The first festival took place in 2009 and this year marks the 10th anniversary of the festival's launch.
- Culture and Sport
- Culture and Sport
- 03000 266 555
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL