To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

My DurhamFor information about where you live, enter your address
Page location

Contact the Council

You can contact us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In an emergency

Get help in an emergency or advice about your home, health and personal safety.

Get information not only about our out of hours help, but key contacts for emergency services and utility companies.

Pay for it

If you're looking to pay a bill, you can do it online for a number of services.

You can pay for a range of services online.

You can also phone our 24/7 payment line on 0300 456 2771, which covers the following areas:

  1. Council tax
  2. Housing benefit overpayments
  3. Garden waste
  4. Business rates
  5. Invoices
  6. Blue badges
  7. Housing rent


Apply for it

You can apply for some services online.

You may have to apply to access some of our services. Find out which ones you can apply for online.

Report it

Report a problem in your local area.

If you spot a problem, or want to let us know something needs fixing, you can report  it online.

Have your say

Your opportunity to tell us what you think.

Let us know what you think by replying to our consultations, giving us suggestions and raising petitions.

Social care help and support

Who to contact if you need social care help and advice.

In an out of hours emergency, please phone us on 03000 267 979.

If you have a concern about a child or young person who lives in County Durham, First Contact is the service to call. First Contact brings together staff from Childrens Services with partners such as Durham Constabulary and Health.

Social Care Direct is a dedicated team of officers who are your first point of contact if you feel you need adult social care help and support.

Make a complaint

What to do if you are unhappy with a service we have provided.

Sometimes we get things wrong and people are not always happy with what we do. When this happens, tell us what you're unhappy with and we will listen and do our best to put things right.

You can feed back on social care, about a councillor, a school, or just make a service-related complaint.

Contact your local councillor

Find out how to contact your councillors.

Local councillors are elected by you to decide how we should carry out our various activities. They represent public interests as well as people living within the electoral division they have been elected to serve.

Can't do or find what you're looking for on our website?

OnlineContact us online 

Telephone: 8.30am - 5.00pm (Monday - Thursday), 8.30am - 4.30pm (Friday)

  • General enquiries: 03000 26 0000
  • Benefits: 03000 26 2000
  • Council tax/business rates: 03000 26 4000
  • Highways/Streetscene: 03000 26 1000 (roads, footpaths and streetlights, rubbish and recycling, commercial waste, neighbourhood wardens, stray dogs, abandoned vehicles, pest control, street cleaning, litter and dog fouling, graffiti, fly tipping, fly posting, maintenance of parks and open spaces, parks and cemeteries)
  • Minicom (for hearing impaired): 0191 383 3802

Need to visit us in person?

Local customer access points