Care leavers and council tax
If you are a care leaver aged under 25 who is paying council tax or living with someone who pays council tax, we may be able to reduce the amount to be paid by awarding a discretionary council tax reduction.
Who does this cover?
To qualify for a reduction you must be a care leaver under the age of 25 and be one of the following:
- you are named on the council tax bill and live alone
- you live with someone else and are named on the council tax bill, no matter if the other person is a care leaver or not
- you move into a household where someone else pays the council tax
The reduction will stop on your 25th birthday or if the policy is revised.
What will I pay?
If you are the only person paying the council tax bill, you will have you bill reduced by 100%.
If you move into a household, the council tax bill will be reduced to 50%.
How do I apply?
To find out if you qualify please complete theand:
- contact us to return it by email or post
- return it to your young person advisor
If you qualify for a reduction it will be automatically paid to the relevant council tax account.
The policy will be reviewed annually and the current scheme is valid for the financial year 2017. Further information can be found in the.
- Council tax
- Council tax
- 03000 26 4000
Our address is:
- Revenues and Benefits
- PO Box 238
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH8 1FP
- 01207 218 876