Make a Housing Benefit claim
For most people of working age, Universal Credit has replaced Housing Benefit. Find out who is eligible to claim Housing Benefit, and how to make a claim.
Who can claim Housing Benefit
You are eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you:
- have reached state pension age
- are in supported accommodation (any age)
- receive a severe disability premium
You cannot claim Housing Benefit if you:
- own your home and have a mortgage
- rent your home from a close relative who lives in the same house
- have applied for Universal Credit
- or your partner have savings or investments over £16,000 (unless you get Guaranteed Pension Credit)
How to make a claim
Step 1: make a claim
Use our Benefit claim form and calculator to claim online.
Alternatively you can claim by:
- Telephone: 03000 26 2000
- In person: contact us to make an appointment at one of our customer access points.
Step 2: provide documents as evidence to support your claim
When we receive your claim, we'll contact you to tell you what documents we need to see. Provide theses documents as soon as possible to avoid delays, and within a month to ensure we process your claim. You can submit your documents in the following ways:
- You can email all documents (except for proof of identity) to firstname.lastname@example.org, quote your claim reference in the subject line if known. This can include photographs of the documents.
- At a customer access point - to make an appointment, contact us.
- By post (for example passport, birth certificate, medical card) - addressed to:
Revenues and Benefits
PO Box 238
Please don't send valuable items. For more information about the documents we accept, see what information you should provide.
Step 3: your claim is processed
Once we have received all supporting documents, we will process your claim. We will write to you to confirm your benefit entitlement, telling you how much you will receive and how we reached that decision. We will then make arrangements to pay your benefit - see How is Housing Benefit paid? for more information.
How we calculate your Housing Benefit
The amount you get depends on your household circumstances. This includes the following:
- the rent you are charged
- your income and savings
- the people who live with you
- the number of bedrooms you have
- Benefit cap on households out of work
If your claim is turned down, or you are not happy with the level of benefit you have been awarded, you can ask us to look at the decision again.
- Housing Benefit
- Housing Benefit
- 03000 262 000