Bin collection dates
We collect rubbish and recycling from households in County Durham on alternate weeks. One week we empty your rubbish bin and the following week we empty your recycling bin.
You can find out your collection day by clicking on My Durham and entering your house name or number and postcode.
Find more information on garden waste collections.
Putting your bin out
Your rubbish bin or recycling bin and box must be placed out on the kerbside by 7.00am on the day of collection.
- Please do not block the road or path with your bin. Please bring it back in the same day.
- Please do not overfill the bin as it may result in it not being emptied.
- Please do not tie your bin to a fence or tie your lid shut as this will prevent it from being emptied.
- We do not collect any waste left next to the rubbish bin.
If, after recycling as much as you can, you still have extra waste, you can take this to one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres.
Need help to get your bin to the kerbside?
Find out if you qualify for help to put your bin out.
Changes to collections
There are generally no changes to your bin collections during bank holiday weeks. Please place your refuse, recycling and garden waste bins (if subscribed to the scheme) out as normal during bank holiday periods, unless otherwise directed.
Missed bin collections
Our My bin hasn't been emptied page provides information on why your bin hasn't been emptied and how to report a missed collection.
Recycling and rubbish containers
Your household should have:
- a recycling box for glass bottles and jars
- a recycling bin (grey bin with a blue lid) for plastics, paper and card, food tins and drinks cans, cartons, and aerosols
- a rubbish bin for items that cannot be recycled
- a garden waste bin (if you are subscribed to the scheme). To subscribe see Garden waste collections.
Find out more about what goes in which bin?.
- Customer Services
- 03000 26 0000
- Sign up for your 2019 garden waste collections
- Help to put your bin out
- Household clinical waste
- Household hazardous waste permits
- Household recycling and bin collections FAQs
- Recycling centres (tips)
- Large items (bulky waste) collections
- My bin hasn't been emptied
- What goes in which bin?
- Waste collection policies
- Durham Student Life