Hardwick Park is a country park with a difference, a Visit England accredited attraction, and a great place to visit at any time of the year. Find all the information you'll need to make your visit an enjoyable one.
What is there to do?
With free admission (other than car parking charges), you can stroll through the historic parkland admiring the natural beauty of the lake, woodland and wildlife.
And no visit is complete without calling into our visitor centre to learn about the history and restoration of the park, taking a look in our gift shop and calling in to our Tower Cafe.
Find out more about our current events and activities programme.
Our visitor centre offers excellent facilities including an interactive exhibition space, fully equipped education room, gift shop, cafe and public toilets.
The Tower Cafe is open daily offering a wonderful selection of home made soups, sandwiches, scones, pies and cakes. Whether calling in for lunch, ice cream or just a refreshing drink after a walk, a warm and friendly welcome awaits you.
There is a designated barbecue area situated to the left of Temple Field, near the picnic benches. Unauthorised fires are not permitted in any other areas of the park. We ask that all barbecues are disposed of responsibly. Please ensure your barbecue is fully extinguished and cool before putting it into the bin.
Current opening times (daily)
- park gates - 7.30am to 8.00pm
- cafe - 10.00am to 4.00pm
- gift shop and exhibition - 10.00am to 4.00pm
- toilets - 7.30am to 8.00pm
There are a number of accessible parking bays at the park. The visitor centre is fully accessible for people with disabilities and the circuit walk is accessible to visitors of all abilities.
The surfaced route is a minimum of two metres wide, generally flat and has no steps. There are two slopes but easier alternatives will be marked. Other paths around the park are generally flat but may be muddy at times.
We want you to safely enjoy the park and its facilities so please take heed of the following:
- ensure children are supervised at all times
- do not enter any part of the park's lakes or ponds
- use the brakes on strollers, prams or pushchairs when you stop to enjoy the park
- during the winter do not attempt to stand on any ice on the lakes and pond
Hardwick Park welcomes responsible dog owners and their dogs. However, the park has a dog on lead policy. The Public Space Protection Order authorises officers to enforce against owners who do not have their dog on a lead. The dog exercise area allows dogs off their lead in a designated area. Dogs, even on a lead, are not allowed in the children's fenced off play area. Dog foul must be picked up and disposed of in the bins provided.
Green Flag awards
Hardwick Park has a Green Flag award. These awards recognise well managed parks and open spaces for all to enjoy. The Green Flag Awards are the benchmark national standard for parks and green spaces in the UK
Hardwick Park is on the west side of Sedgefield in County Durham. Grid Reference NZ 346 288 (Ordnance Survey map Explorer 305).
- By public transport: The nearest bus stop is at Sedgefield High Street. From there it is a half mile walk following a signposted footpath through the arch of the Hardwick Arms Hotel. Visit public transport for more information.
- By car or coach: Hardwick Park is on the A177 Durham to Stockton road on the west side of Sedgefield, two and a half miles from A1(M) Junction 60 (well sign-posted).
- On foot, cycle or horse: Paths allow easy access to the park at all times. See Ordnance Survey map Explorer 305.
Car parking charges
Pay and display charges apply at all times:
- cars - up to two hours £2.00/full day £3.00
- coaches and minibuses - all day £9.00
- motorcycles - free
- blue badge holders - charges as above
Twelve-month parking permits are available at a cost of £80.00. To buy one, please call into the visitor centre between 9.00am and 4.00pm daily. Alternatively, please contact us for an application form and further details. Income from parking charges directly benefits the park, funding its maintenance and ensuring the continuation of the education and events programme.
In partnership with
- Visitor Attraction Quality Marque
- Hardwick Park
- Hardwick Park
- 03000 262 899
Our address is:
- Hardwick Park Visitor Centre
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- TS21 2DN