Traffic safety and traffic calming schemes
Traffic safety schemes are introduced to solve a problem on one or more roads.
How are roads identified?
The need for a safety or traffic calming scheme can be identified in a variety of ways:
- accident history
- concerns raised by local residents
What happens next?
Once an issue is identified a traffic control assessment will be made.
The assessment considers the following:
- How to best achieve the safe movement of vehicles - including traffic flow, possible restraints and environmental factors.
- The impact on public transport.
- Cyclist and pedestrian access and safety.
- The impact on children, disabled and older people.
What type of measures can be introduced?
There are many solutions including:
- Speed limit changes
- Road humps
- New signage