Foster Xtra is a specialist type of foster care, specifically for children who need extra support and understanding. They may have experiences from their early life which they are struggling to cope with and this may show in their emotions and behaviour. Fostering Plus offers extra support to children and the families who care for them, including therapeutic support to help them have a more positive future.
What's different about Foster Xtra?
Foster Xtra offers specialist support to children who are struggling to cope with their emotions and past experiences. Families are offered tailored support to offer a professional approach to caring for children and helping them to recover from their past.
Some of the children are in children's homes and we would like to give them the opportunity to live in a family, others have moved many times and we want to give them a stable home.
Contact us for a chat, or complete our Express your interest in fostering a child form and we'll contact you to discuss your information in more detail.
What qualities do you need to be a Foster Xtra carer?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with young people, are not daunted by challenging behaviour and want to make a real difference in a child's life. You will need patience, tolerance, understanding and insight and we will provide you with all the training you need to undertake this rewarding role.
What extra support will you get?
You will work with a dedicated team of professionals to help a young person have a more positive future. You will benefit from additional support and training tailored to your needs including:
- A fostering social worker who will visit you regularly to offer advice and support.
- Intensive involvement from our specialist therapeutic team.
- Family support workers available at evenings and weekends.
- Respite care to offer families a break.
- Specific training to help you develop your knowledge of the child and how you can care for them.
- Regular meetings to discuss managing behaviour.
- A dedicated support group for Foster Xtra.
- Emergency support outside of office hours, at weekends and bank holidays.
- The benefit of a professional multi-agency care team approach who can offer individual support with social opportunities, health and education.
- Extra financial support.