Durham City conservation area character appraisal consultation
Durham City Conservation Area has existed since 1968. We want your comments on the appraisal document to help properly manage it.
There are 93 conservation areas within towns and villages in County Durham. These are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character and appearance of which should be preserved or enhanced.
What are we doing?
To ensure County Durham's conservation areas are properly managed, we are producing Conservation Area Appraisal documents that will help raise awareness of their special character and interest. These documents recommend ways to improve and to manage change as well as providing an interesting history and snapshot of the area.
We would welcome comments from residents, business owners and visitors on:
- proposed Article 4(2) direction which would remove permitted development rights to make external alterations to some properties
- the revised conservation area boundary
- the draft document
Have your say
The closing date for comments was Friday 30 October 2015.
As part of the consultation process we will be holding a series of drop in information sessions across the city in the various character areas where visitors can find out more about conservation area designation and the appraisal process. You can come to any of the meetings, but we have also arranged one for each area.
- Tuesday 29 September 2.30pm-7.00pm: Durham Town Hall (all character areas)
- Friday 2 October 2.30pm-7.00pm: Waddington Street Church (Crossgate character area)
- Tuesday 6 October 2.30pm-7.00pm: Vane Tempest Hall (Gilesgate character area)
- Friday 9 October 2.30pm-7.00pm: St. Oswald's Institute (Elvet character area)
- Monday 12 October 2.30pm-7.00pm: Durham Town Hall (Peninsula character area)
- Thursday 15 October 2.30pm-6.30pm: North Road Methodist Church (Framwellgate character area)
Displays will also be available relating to other current projects including the new HMO controls, interim student housing accomodation policy, the Assured Student Housing Scheme, and the Air Quality Action Plan.