Taxi licensing consultation
We carried out a consultation on a review of the licensing policy for taxis (hackney carriage and private hire vehicles) between 4 June and 26 August 2015.
This consultation is now closed. Thank you to everyone who responded.
Policy review and proposed changes
The Hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy which was introduced in May 2011 was due for review in 2015. As part of this review we consulted on a range of proposals including:
- vehicle top signs (signs displayed on the roof of taxis)
- new, more stringent safeguarding measures to improve safety of drivers and passengers
- age policy for vehicles and engine emission standards
- suspension of licensed vehicles
- numeracy and literacy testing for new drivers
Thegives details of the proposed changes to the current policy.
A comprehensive list of all proposed changes is attached to the Cabinet agenda and minutes 15 April 2015.
About the policy
The hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy details how we carry out our taxi licensing functions and aims to achieve the following objectives.
- To ensure that safe, comfortable, reliable and accessible hackney carriage and private hire vehicles are available for all who require them.
- To ensure that all licensed drivers and private hire operators are fit and proper persons.
- To provide clarity for licensees with respect to the Council's requirements and the decision making process.
- To promote a professional and respected hackney carriage and private hire trade.
Following consideration of the consultation results, the new Hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy was approved on 13 April 2016.
- 03000 261 016
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- PO Box 617
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 9HZ