To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

Page location

Paying for your care and support

There is usually a cost for care and support services unlike health care which is free to everyone at the point of delivery.

This page tells you about charging, how to apply for financial help and ways to pay for your care and support services.

You may find it useful to get advice from an independent financial adviser or an independent organisation. Locate can help you search for local independent financial advisers.

How much will I have to pay?

The amount you will have to pay depends on the help you need and the income and savings you have.

  • If you have income and savings of more that £23,250 you will need to pay the full cost of your care.
  • If your income and savings are between £14,250 and £23,250 you will need to make a contribution.
  • If you have less than £14,250 you may not have to pay anything.

Understanding your care charges

Depending on the type of care and support you're eligible for, different charges may apply. Download any of our factsheets, below, to help you understand our charges.

Read our charging policies for more information:

Need help and advice with your benefits

Contact us at Welfare Rights for help and advice about any problems. 

Fraudulent claims

If you suspect someone of making a fraudulent claim you can Report suspected fraud online.