To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

Page location

Living independently - get help at home

Do you need help to remain in your own house? Find information about adaptations to your home, equipment to help you carry out everyday activities and personal care.

Visit our Locate - care and support in County Durham website for information, advice and services to help you live independently.

There are many different  services which provide care and support to help you remain in your own home. They include:

Home adaptations

An adaptation is a change to your home which will  help you stay independent and safe. If you have a carer - it may also help them look after you.

Many companies can help adapt your home - you'll find details on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website. If you live in social housing your landlord may be able to help.

Factsheet: Adapting your home to meet your needs (PDF, 439kb)

Disabled facilities grants

If you struggle to get around the house safely because you are elderly or disabled, a disabled facilities grant can help fund suitable adaptations to your property. 

Equipment help and advice

There is a wide range of equipment which can help you get about safely and manage in your home. Our Equipment Advice Service (PDF, 279kb) offers free impartial advice and guidance to help you choose the right product for your needs, and is available to anyone who has difficulty managing everyday activities. Contact us for more information. 

Alternatively, contact us to make an appointment to visit our Independent Living House in Spennymoor. You can try out a range of equipment including walking frames, stools, bath and stair lifts, telecare equipment and sensory support products.

Although we do not sell equipment we can provide you with a list of suppliers.

Borrowing equipment

The Community Equipment Service specialises in lending equipment to people who are ill or disabled to help with their nursing, social and rehabilitation care.

Speak to your social worker or care coordinator to discuss your needs.

If you have borrowed equipment that you no longer require please contact Medequip who will arrange to collect it, telephone 01325 524531 or email

Personal alarms and sensors - Telecare

Telecare alarm and sensor systems can recognise when there might be an emergency situation or problem. They can detect if you have an accident, if you're unwell or you need help at home.

Equipment is linked to a community alarm service or, by a pager, to a relative or carer.

 Find out more about Telecare services in the factsheet below:

Find out about, and apply for, our community alarm service, Care Connect.

Short term therapy and support - reablement

Reablement is short term therapy and support . It's for people who need to relearn skills or master new skills because of poor health, disability, impairment or an accident. 

Therapy sessions last  a maximum of six weeks and can help you carry out  your daily activities and practical tasks whilst you regain the skills and confidence to do these yourself.  You might also need to learn new skills to help you keep your independence.

Find out more about reablement services in the factsheet below:

Home care

These are services which are provided in your home. You can get help with personal care including:

  • washing and bathing
  • eating and drinking
  • getting up and going to bed

You can also get help with preparing meals, laundry, ironing, cleaning and shopping.

You can find home care services listed on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website. 

Please note - home care is only provided at a subsidised cost in exceptional circumstances.

Meals to your home

You'll find lots of meal providers on our Locate - care and support in County Durham website. Some of these will deliver to your home.

Please note, we will not pay for meals, or their delivery, even if you are eligible for care and support.

Sitting / visiting

Some organisations and charities provide sitting and visiting services for companionship, support and/or personal care for adults who need care at home.

These services can also give carers the opportunity to take a break from their caring role.