1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham


If you're a carer you're not counted (disregarded) when calculating council tax.

If you're a carer, you're disregarded for the purpose of a discount if you're providing care or support to another person:

  • on behalf of an official or charitable body, or
  • when employed by the person being cared for to provide care and support and was introduced by a charitable body, or
  • where caring for someone in receipt of certain benefits. To qualify, the person you're caring for cannot be your spouse, partner or child under the age of 18 (please see the application form for more details)

Moved out to provide care

If your property is left unoccupied because you've moved to provide care for someone else, you may be entitled to a discount or exemption on your Council tax bill.

How to apply

To apply for a carer's Council tax discount, download and complete the form below:

Icon for pdf Carers council tax discount form (PDF, 138.5kb)

Change in circumstances

Failure to notify us that a discount should not have been granted or that it is no longer applicable could lead to financial penalties being applied to the liable person concerned in addition to the disregard being revoked. See our Report changes affecting your council tax page for more information.


Contact us
Council tax
03000 26 4000
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
01207 218 876
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page