To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

Page location

Fireworks and the law

Firework legislation and licensing for event organisers, firework retailers and storage facilities.

If you want information about this year's firework displays or how to stay safe at home see our bonfire night and fireworks page.

Organised displays

If you are thinking of holding a bonfire night event, please visit the events safety information for organisers page.


Retailers need a licence to sell fireworks. You are committing an offence if you:

  • sell fireworks to anyone under the age of 18 years (under age sales)
  • sell fireworks that are louder than 120 decibels
  • sell fireworks that do not meet BS7114

Licences for the storage and sale of fireworks

licence for the storage and sale of fireworks or registration may be required to store and/or sell fireworks. This also applies to other explosive products, such as flares and marine safety devices, small arms ammunition, fuses, ammunition primers and desensitised explosives.