Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for an Environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated installation in England or Wales.

A regulated installation includes Part A (2) and Part B installations that are regulated by us and Part A (1) installations that are regulated by the Environment Agency.

What are permits needed for?

Part A (1) and A (2) permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

Part A (1) permits

Permits for Part A (1) installations are available from apply for an environmental permit.

The A1 activities for which the Environment Agency is responsible for regulating are detailed in Schedule 1 of the Environmental Protection (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended) for issuing permits for the following activities:

  • waste operations carried out at Part B installations
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants
  • mining waste operations

Part A (2) and B permits

Part A (2) and Part B installations are regulated by us, and are installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities. Part A (2) and B listed activities include:

  • energy - combustion, gasification, and liquification activities
  • metals - foundries, processing and treatment of metals
  • minerals - the storage of bulk cement, crushing and screening of mineral and ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - the storage of chemicals in bulk
  • waste - the incineration of waste
  • solvents - use of solvents
  • other - the manufacture and treatment of timber products, coating, tar and bitumen, printing, the processing of rubber, the rendering of animal carcases and animal waste, the processing of animal and vegetable waste

Further detailed descriptions of the listed activities can be found in Schedule 1 of the The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.

    Who can apply for one?

    The application must be made by the operator of the regulated installation. For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

    How much is a permit? environmental permitting resources are set annually by DEFRA. Subsistence fees are payable on an annual basis from 1 April each year. You will be sent an invoice for these.

    Subsistence fees become due when the permit is issued and will be pro-rated in the first year. For example, if your permit is issued in January, the subsistence fee will only be payable for the months of February and March and will be reduced accordingly.

    Where acceptance of an application for declaration of reduced operation has been granted by the Council, the operator of the regulated installation is entitled to a reduced annual subsistence charge of 40% of the full charge that is applicable for the financial year. However where the declaration of reduced operation no longer applies within the first twelve months from when the application is received the company must retrospectively pay the full subsistence charge that would have been payable plus a £50 administration fee.

    The subsistence fee for installations that have received acceptance of an application for declaration of reduced operation will, after the full twelve month period, be at the reduced charge to cover every complete month that the reduced operation status remains applicable.  Therefore the company must pay the full subsistence charge for each remaining month of the year for which the reduced operation status no longer applies.

    Application evaluation process

    • We will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.
    • We may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.
    • We must be satisfied that the application is from the operator of the regulated installation and that the installation will be operated in accordance with the environmental permit.

    If we need information from you that has not been provided, we will contact you to let you know. If this information is not then given to us within a reasonable time, the application will be deemed to be withdrawn. In such circumstances, the application fee will be returned to you along with any non-electronic documents you have given us.

    Implied granting of permit ('tacit consent')

    It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. This means that you cannot assume your permit is granted just because you have not heard from us. We aim to process an application (in terms of ensuring it is duly made) within 14 days of receipt. We aim to issue your permit(s) as soon as practically possible but in any case, within  three or four months of a correctly made application (depending on type). Please contact us if you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application being submitted.

    How to apply

    The application forms require that you provide detailed information regarding your activities. Please ensure that this is given in sufficient detail. Where indicated on the form, it is acceptable for the information needed to be attached to your application as separate documents. If you choose to do this, you must ensure that the attachments and application form are clearly referenced.

    Please note, that with all types of application, certain information is to be supplied as separate attachments as a matter of course. This information generally relates to site maps and plans.

    What happens if my permit is refused?

    Please contact us in the first instance. 

    An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of our decision. Completed appeals should be made to:

    The Planning Inspectorate
    Registry/Scanning Room 3/01 Kite Wing
    Temple Quay House
    2 The Square
    Temple Quay
    BS1 6PN


    We request that you contact us with any grievance concerning your permit.

    If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the Secretary of State.

    Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

    Environmental permit register

    A list of the companies who currently hold an environmental permit.

    This list and the information contained in it was correct as of 2 August 2019 and will be updated periodically. If you require a copy of any environmental permits please contact us.

    Icon for pdf Environmental Permits Public Register (PDF, 174.9kb)

    EUGO logo

    In partnership with

    • EUGO
    Contact us
    Pollution Control
    03000 261 016
    Our address is:
    • Environment, Health and Consumer Protect
    • Annand House
    • John Street North
    • Meadowfield
    • County Durham
    • United Kingdom
    • DH7 8RS
    Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page