Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for a part A (2) or B environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated installation in England or Wales.

    The application must be made by the operator of the regulated installation.

    For waste operations, no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

    How much is a permit?

    Permit fees and charges are set annually by DEFRA.

    Subsistence fees

    Subsistence fees are payable on an annual basis from 1 April each year. You will be sent an invoice for these.

    They are due when the permit is issued and will be pro-rated in the first year. For example, if your permit is issued in January, the subsistence fee will only be payable for the months of February and March and will be reduced accordingly.

    Reduced operation

    If we have agreed an application for declaration of reduced operation, you are entitled to a reduced annual subsistence charge of 40% of the full charge that is applicable for the financial year. 

    Where the declaration of reduced operation no longer applies within the first 12 months from when the application is received, you must retrospectively pay the full subsistence charge that would have been payable plus a £50 administration fee.

    After the full 12 month period, the reduced charge to cover every complete month that the reduced operation status remains applicable. After that, you must pay the full subsistence charge for each remaining month of the year for which the reduced operation status no longer applies.

    Application evaluation process

    • We will pay attention to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practical, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.
    • We may inform the public of the application and must consider any feedback.
    • We must be satisfied that the application is from the operator of the regulated installation and that the installation will be operated in accordance with the environmental permit.

    If we need more information from you, we will contact you to let you know. If this information is not then given to us within a reasonable time, the application will be assumed to be withdrawn, and your application fee will be returned along with any non-electronic documents you have given us.

    How to apply

    The application forms need you to provide detailed information regarding your activities. Please ensure that this is given. Where indicated on the form, it is acceptable for the information needed to be attached to your application as separate documents. If you choose to do this, you must ensure that the attachments and application form are clearly referenced.

    Please note, that with all types of application, certain information is to be supplied as separate attachments as a matter of course. This information generally relates to site maps and plans.

    Granting of the permit

    It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted and you cannot assume your permit is granted just because you have not heard from us.

    We aim to process an application (in terms of ensuring it is duly made) within 14 days of receipt.

    We aim to issue your permit(s) as soon as practically possible but in any case, within  three or four months of a correctly made application (depending on type). 

    Please contact us if you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application being submitted.

    What to do if your permit is refused

    Please contact us in the first instance. 

    Appeals can be made to the Secretary of State not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision. Completed appeals should be made to:

    The Planning Inspectorate
    Registry/Scanning Room 3/01 Kite Wing
    Temple Quay House
    2 The Square
    Temple Quay
    BS1 6PN

    EUGO logo

    In partnership with

    • EUGO
    Contact us
    Pollution Control
    03000 261 016
    Our address is:
    • Community Protection
    • Annand House
    • John Street North
    • Meadowfield
    • County Durham
    • United Kingdom
    • DH7 8RS
    Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page