Personal travel plans
A personalised travel plan provides information specific to an individual to assist them make sustainable journeys.
Creating a personalised travel plan involves a short interview to find out where and when you travel and what journeys you (and possibly your family) make during the week.
We then spend time researching the options available and will provide you with information on public transport and cycle routes for example.
We may also be able to provide you with details about local community initiatives in your area to reduce car dependence.
Planning a journey - hints and tips
When planning your journeys think about the following:
- Do I really need to make this journey at all? Can I work from home today or purchase the shopping online?
- How far is the journey? Can I walk or cycle instead of going to the gym tonight?
- If the car is necessary, ask around to see if you can take any passengers. Would a neighbour like a lift into town as you are passing through, or could you car share with a colleague to work?
- Combine your journeys. For example, if you are going to visit a relative, do the supermarket shopping on the way home to save an extra trip.
- Can you use local services? Where you can, use local services and facilities which you can walk or cycle to, rather than taking the car.
- Choosing a new school. For parents, choosing a new school is really important; if you can, choose a school which your children can walk or cycle to.
- If you have to attend a meeting for work close to home, ask your managers if you can go straight to the meeting, rather than travelling to the office first.
- If you have to travel by car, remember to use eco-driving techniques. Gentle acceleration and braking conserves fuel. Ensure your tyres are correctly inflated and don't carry unnecessary loads, for example roof boxes as this will use more fuel.
If you would like a personalised travel plan, please contact us. You can also plan your own journeys using Traveline North East and Cumbria.
- Travel Planning
- Travel Planning
- 03000 265 309
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Sustainable Transport
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ
- 0191 383 4080