Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Our online forms (customer account / Do it online) system will not be available between 10.00pm on Tuesday 22 June and 6.00am on Wednesday 23 June. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you're of working age and think you may be eligible for help with your rent, you must apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. Please note that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for Universal Credit - see DWP: coronavirus and claiming benefits for up to date information on how the DWP can help you if you are affected by the coronavirus. 

Housing Benefit overpayments

An overpayment is when we pay you, or your landlord, an amount of Housing Benefit that you weren't entitled to receive.

If you still receive Housing Benefit, we will reduce your Housing Benefit payments at a set rate until the money is paid back in full. The amount you will pay depends on your circumstances. If you no longer receive Housing Benefit, we'll send you an invoice for the full amount you owe.

Ways to pay 

You need your invoice number to make a payment which is on the front of your invoice

Pay by phone

Call our 24 hour payment line on 0300 456 2771. 

If you are unable to repay the overpayment

Contact us to discuss your circumstances as soon as possible.

What you can do if you disagree with the Housing Benefit overpayment

If you disagree with the overpayment, see our Appeal against a Housing Benefit decision information.

Contact us
03000 26 2000
Our address is:
  • Finance and Transactional Services
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP

24 hour payment line
0300 456 2771
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page