Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Have your say
  3. My Durham
  4. Login

Money off council tax for disabled people

Your council tax bill could be reduced if anyone living in your home has severe physical disabilities or is a carer.

Download and complete our  Icon for pdf Council tax disabled band reduction application form (PDF, 358.6kb) . Return it to the address included on the form.

Or you can contact us or visit one of our customer access points in your area.

An officer will need to visit your home to assess your situation and, if necessary, help you complete the application. We may also need a supporting letter from a doctor or other health professional.

Qualifying criteria 

To qualify for this reduction, the disabled person living in the home must need and have at least one of the following:

  • a room (which isn't a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which they mainly use 
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen to meet their needs
  • sufficient floor space for use of a wheelchair

A room does not need to have been specially built to qualify. It could be any room that's now needed because of a disability eg a room used to store dialysis equipment.

To grant the reduction, we have to decide whether or not having any of the above would make it very difficult for the disabled person to live in the house or would make their health suffer.

How much will my tax be reduced?

If you meet the criteria for the reduction your bill will be reduced to the next band down. If your house is already on the lowest band, we'll reduce your bill by one ninth (about 11 per cent). For more information on bands see our How much is my council tax bill? page.


If you're a carer, you may not be counted when we calculate your council tax, depending on the circumstances. See our council tax discounts page for more details.

Changes in circumstances

If you qualify for the reduction we'll need to confirm each year that the circumstances are the same. You must report changes affecting your council tax if your circumstances change between times.

Contact us
Council tax
03000 26 4000
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
01207 218 876
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page