1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham

Report changes affecting your council tax

You should tell us as soon as possible if you move house or if anything else changes that would affect the amount of council tax you pay or any discounts or exemptions you're entitled to.

Financial penalties may apply if you claim discounts that you are no longer entitled to, or you don't tell us about a change of circumstances within 21 days.

Moving house

If you're moving, complete the form below and return it to us:

Icon for pdf Council tax change of address form (PDF, 173.3kb)

What other changes do I need to tell you about?

You should tell us about any changes that could affect your bill. There's a list of common reasons below but, if you're unsure, contact us for advice.

Contact us if:

  • any of your children leave school or home (we'll need their new address)
  • anyone moves in or out of your home. This includes lodgers and sub tenants (we'll need their previous address when they move in and their new address when they move out).
  • if someone dies
  • if you, or anyone living with you:
    • goes into a nursing home
    • goes into prison
    • becomes a student
    • starts a training scheme

Council tax reduction

If you get council tax reduction see our report changes affecting your housing benefit page to report changes to your circumstances..

Contact us
Council tax
03000 26 4000
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
01207 218 876
Related information
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page