Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Make an appeal about council tax

How to appeal if you think your bill has been calculated incorrectly or you think your property is in the wrong council tax band.

If you're currently struggling to pay your bills, please see our financial support during Coronavirus outbreak information.

If you make an appeal, you must continue to pay your council tax as normal until a final decision is made.

Who can appeal?

Anyone whose name is shown on your council tax bill. You can appeal either:

How to appeal your bill

You can appeal your bill if you think we've made a mistake, for example:

  • you're not the person who should pay the bill
  • you should get a discount or reduction you have not received
  • you think your property is exempt from council tax

To do this you'll need to write to us, stating that you'd like to make an appeal and detailing your reasons why.

If you don't agree with the outcome of your appeal

If you make an appeal to us and you don't agree with the outcome, or we don't respond within two calendar months, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. This is a free and independent tribunal, funded by Parliament, which deals with council tax and rating appeals in England. Please see their website for how to do this.

How to appeal your council tax band

The band your property is in is the responsibility of the Valuation Office Agency rather than the council. If you think the band is wrong, you will need to contact them to appeal your council tax band.

Appeals against the band can only be made to the VOA in certain circumstances:

  • in the first six months after you become the taxpayer for the property or the band changes
  • when a major change to the value of the property has happened, for example, partial demolition or conversion of houses into flats
  • when the use of the property changes between domestic and business purposes
  • in the first six months after a VOA Listing Officer has altered the banding without you having requested this.


Contact us
Council tax
03000 26 4000
Our address is:
  • Revenues and Benefits
  • PO Box 238
  • Stanley
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DH8 1FP
Related information
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page