Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Apply for a permanent road closure

Details for permanently closing part of a public road, also known as 'stopping up'.

You will need to contact the correct people depending on which law the closure comes under:

ActSection of ActContact
Town and Country Planning Act 1990Section National transport casework team
Town and Country Planning Act 1990Section 257contact us (the closure can only be processed if it is for an approved planning application or a government department)
Highways Act 1980Section 116contact us (we will have to apply for a Magistrate's Court Order and the road can only be closed if it is deemed no longer necessary for public use)


Contact us
Customer Services
03000 26 0000
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page