Check how much energy you're using
Change your habits and start saving energy and money now!
Reduce your energy bills
There's plenty of practical advice to help you reduce your household energy usage on the Energy Saving Trust website. Much of it is easy to include in your daily routine.
Or you can download our leaflet.
If you own your own home or rent privately, we may be able to offer you Advice on boilers, insulation and other energy saving advice schemes
Get the best deal from your energy supplier
Shopping around can save you up to £200 on your gas and electricity bill. You can arrange a Managing Money Better appointment with us, find out how to on our Help with your heating and energy bills page.
Borrow an energy monitor for free
You can borrow an energy monitor for free, just like a library book, from any of our libraries. This will help you manage your energy use more effectively. The monitor will show you:
- how much energy you are using in your home at any time and how much it costs
- how energy use increases when you use certain appliances such as the kettle or an electric shower
- whether you've left anything on before going out or going to bed
Every household in Britain can get a smart meter as part of the national rollout. Your energy supplier will install them in your home at no extra cost. Benefits include:
- automatic meter readings - sent at least once a month for more accurate energy bills
- no more estimated bills - you only pay for what you use
- in-home display - shows you how much energy you're using and what it's costing you in pounds and pence!
Go to the Smart Energy web page to find information from energy suppliers on their plans for installing smart meters and how you can contact them to request yours.