Apply for building regulation approval
This page contains advice on how to submit an application for building regulations approval including how to apply online.
Before you apply
Download the latest building control fees and guidance notes below:
If you need more information - go to our building control and regulations guidance page which also includes details of our free pre-submission consultation service.
Submit your application online using one of the three websites below:
- Apply for building regulations approval via iApply (includes online payment)
- Apply for building regulations approval via the planning portal (payment by cheque and telephone)
- Apply for building regulations approval via Submit a plan (payment by cheque or telephone)
Make sure you provide all the supporting documentation, as outlined at the bottom of this page.
Benefits of applying online
- It's quick, easy to use and available 24/7.
- Complete your application form, upload supporting documents and, in the case of iApply, pay for your fees all in one place.
- Work on your applications in draft before submission.
- Receive immediate delivery and acknowledgement of your application.
- Save on postage and printing costs.
- Have an online record of your completed applications.
Please note - your application cannot be processed until we have received the correct fee.
You can make payment by phone - contact us with your application reference number and card payment details.
Applying by post or in person
Download the contact details on this page.. Completed forms, any supporting information, as outlined below and cheques should be sent to Building Control using the
Cheques should be made out to 'Durham County Council'.
You can also submit your application and payment in person to any one of our customer access points located throughout the county.
Full plans applications
If you're preparing a full plans application, full constructional details of the proposed work should be included. It would be advisable to seek professional advice for what is required unless you have a working knowledge of building regulations and building construction.
Building notice domestic applications
If you choose this option, generally no detailed plans are required as greater emphasis is placed upon site supervision. However, a location plan will be required for works involving property extensions. Plans and details may be requested during the course of the work to assist us with checking, but these will only be requested if absolutely necessary.
- Building Control
- Building Control
- 03000 262 832
Our address is:
- Room G10-G16
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UL