Come and visit our picnic areas. We have sites across the county where you can go and relax in wonderful settings. They are ideal for short walks or picnics and some even feature historical remains.
Picnic areas in County Durham
- Baybridge: On B6306, west of Blanchland
- Broompark: On B6302, east of Ushaw Moor
- Causey Arch: On the A6076, between Stanley and Sunniside
- Cocken Wood: East of Plawsworth, over river from Finchale Priory
- Malton: On A691, east of Lanchester
- Middle Rainton: on A690 near Rainton Gate
For more countryside information, please click on one of the links below:
- Country parks
- Nature reserves
- Railway paths
- Countryside events and guided walks
- Hardwick Park
- Coast and countryside walks
- Support your local environment by becoming a countryside volunteer.
- Countryside and Hardwick Park newsletter
- Durham Countryside Volunteers on Facebook
There are designated barbecue areas at both Hardwick Park and Wharton Park. Unauthorised fires and barbecues are not permitted on any other of our countryside sites.