Find out how to use the search functions on this website.
Searching this site
You can search for information using the search box in the top right corner of your screen.
On a computer or tablet
To search for information, click in the search box and type in a word or words. Click on the magnifying glass to the right of the field or press the 'Return' (or 'Enter') key on your keyboard.
On a mobile
To open the search box, click on the magnifying glass.
Our search engine will then search this website for any pages and news articles that contain the words you have entered into the search box. It will not search for attached pdfs, contacts or databases.
The more precise you are when you enter your word(s) into the search box, the more accurate your results.
When your search results appear, they are listed in order of relevance.
At this stage you can adjust your search information. You can amend your search words and you can alter the search criteria from 'Find any word' (default) to 'Find all words' or 'Find exact phrase'.
- Selecting the 'Find any word' option will return all items which have any of the keywords within the page text.
- The 'Find all words' option will return only items which contain all of the words entered into the search box.
- The 'Find exact phrase' option will return items which contain the exact text in the search box.
Some parts of this site have specialised searching tools (and this information isn't included in the site search). You can search these individual areas one at a time, to find specific information. These are:
- Library Online
- Locate - care and support in County Durham
- Registrars certificates
- The Durham Record
- Modern.gov for council meeting agendas, minutes and reports
- Schools A-Z