Support for children with English as an additional language
We are committed to supporting pupils for whom English is not a first language.
We help schools to improve educational outcomes of all minority ethnic pupils including those with English as an additional language (EAL) and provide additional support for children and young people who are at risk of underachieving.
We deliver individual and group support packages for:
- pupils with EAL New-To-English
- raising achievement work for EAL pupils in the intermediate stage of learning EAL.
We liaise with minority ethnic parents/carers on the induction of their children into the English education system.
We raise awareness of the needs of EAL pupils in schools, including those of refugees and asylum seekers. This involves carrying out parental interviews, interpreting, first language and initial English language assessments and monitoring of progress and support.
We offer a range of cultural workshops in schools, including Chinese New Year and the Dragon Boat festival.
We also offer training on:
- increasing capacity of schools, services and trainee teachers to meet the needs of minority ethnic children and young people for whom English is an additional language
- improving understanding of the barriers to achievement for EAL pupils and how to improve attainment
- strategies for effective engagement with minority ethnic parents/carers with regards to access to education for their children
- Each year the team supports approximately 300 pupils with EAL new-to-English.
- Packages of assessment and guidance for more advanced learners of EAL.
- Support for pupils taking GCSEs in first language.
More about us
We have a dedicated team which includes a specialist bilingual teacher (Polish), bilingual support officers (Chinese, Arabic), community interpreters (various languages) and a specialist learning support assistant (LSA) for EAL supported by a manager, team leader, advisory teachers and clerical support.
SEND and Inclusion Service
03000 267 800
Our address is:
- Broom Cottages Primary and Nursery Schoo
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DL17 8AN
01740 657 792