Housing associations are now known as registered providers. Registered providers are independent housing organisations registered with the Homes and Communities Agency under the Housing Act 1996.
Most are housing associations, but there are also trusts, co-operatives and companies. Registered providers give access to a range of rented homes including houses, flats and bungalows to suit the needs of the individual.
Former council housing
Council housing in the following former districts is now provided by registered providers:
- Chester-le-Street: Housing in Chester-le-Street, Sacriston, Great Lumley, Pelton and surrounding areas is now provided by Karbon Homes (was Cestria, Derwentside and Isos).
- Derwentside: Housing in Consett, Stanley, Lanchester, Langley Park and surrounding areas is now provided by Karbon Homes (was Cestria, Derwentside and Isos).
- Durham City: Housing in Durham City and surrounding villages is now provided by Durham City Homes as part of the County Durham Housing Group.
- Easington: Housing in Easington, Peterlee, Seaham and surrounding areas is now provided by East Durham Homes as part of the County Durham Housing Group.
- Sedgefield: Housing in Sedgefield, Newton Aycliffe, Spennymoor and surrounding areas is now provided by livin.
- Teesdale: Housing in Barnard Castle, Cockfield, Evenwood, Etherley and surrounding areas is now provided by North Star Housing Group.
- Wear Valley: Housing in Crook, Bishop Auckland, Coundon and surrounding areas is now provided by Dale & Valley Homes as part of the County Durham Housing Group.
Other registered providers in County Durham
The following registered providers provide social housing for rent across County Durham:
- Castles & Coasts
- Durham Aged Mineworkers' Homes Association
- Fairoak Housing Association
- Hellens Residential
- Jacob Wrights Almshouses (0191 388 1111) (managed by Durham Aged Mineworkers' Homes)
- Jane Cameron's Old Peoples Charity (0178 444 6023) (as part of Hanover)
- Johnnie Johnson Housing
- Places for People
- Railway Housing Association
- Salvation Army Housing Association (saha)
- Thirteen Group
- William Russell Bequest (0191 378 1625)
For further information about these organisations, please contact them directly using the contacts on their websites. If there is no website provided, the contact details are listed on this page.
Finding a home to rent
Some of the registered providers listed above have signed up to the Durham Key Options nominations agreement, which means that 50% of their empty properties are advertised through the Durham Key Options, Choice Based Lettings Scheme.