Durham Virtual School (for looked after children and young people) - support for educating children at home
During this time when many of you have chosen to keep your children at home we want you to know that Durham Virtual School is still here supporting you. This page contains useful links that may help answer questions or give you some strategies to use if you feel you need some extra support.
Since the schools have closed, we have provided additional resources to support educating children at home and have worked with schools to make sure your child has access to everything they need. Children in Reception and Year 1 will receive monthly copies of Storytime Magazine and those in Years 2 through to Year 8 have access to Fiction Express. In addition to this, all children in Years 2 to 6 will continue to receive their termly Curious Kids packs.
We have added some links to online learning resources and suggested sites to support you and your children at this difficult time. We will constantly review and add to these, so please check back regularly.
We would love to see some examples of the great work the children have been doing and will be gathering examples to showcase at some point. This could be in the form of creative writing, poetry, model building, art work, photographs of activities you have done such as cookery. You can send them to us at our email address DurhamVirtualSchoolLAC@durham.gov.uk.
In the meantime please feel free to contact us as we are here to help.
We are running a competition for our children and young people to show off their creativity and imagination. To celebrate all of our wonderful children and how amazing they have been in adjusting to their new and unusual way of life, we'd like them all to take part and produce some artwork or creative writing about the time they have spent in lockdown. There are two competitions - one for nursery through to Key Stage 2 and one for our Key Stage 3 and 4 young people.
Hopefully we will be able to create an amazing display of all of our children's work. There are also some prizes up for grabs in every age group. Further details can be provided by contacting either The Virtual School, your designated teacher or your social worker. All entries need to be returned to us at DurhamVirtualSchoolLAC@durham.gov.uk by Friday 10 July. Winners will be notified by email.
- Gov.uk: Online education resources for home learning
- Fiction Express: All looked after children in County Durham in Years 2 through to Year 8 have been provided with login details. If you do not have these, check with your social worker or you can contact us directly.
- Online activities
- Online education resources
- Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) - resources for children and young people, parents and carers, and professionals
Support for carers, guardians and adopters
- ACEducation has released videos to help you support your child through the changes caused by Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic:
- Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families: Coronavirus supporting young people's mental health